A wonderful thing about living in Pittsburgh are the rivers and availability of water activities! These are the five best spots in my opinion to kayak in and around Pittsburgh. Each spot offers a different, yet wonderful experience.
5. Leechburg – The River’s Edge
30 miles from Downtown
The River’s Edge in Leechburg offers a scenic trip along the beautiful Kiski River. You can even make a stop at Dairy Queen in North Apollo on your way!
4. Moraine State Park
42 miles from Downtown
Moraine State Park offers many outdoor activities but kayaking on “Lake Arthur” is truly a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.
3. Saltsburg River and Trail
36 miles from Downtown
A shuttle will take you to the beginning of your route and pick you up at the end. The best time to explore this river trail is after a rainstorm when the water is high and moving fast.
2. Kayak Pittsburgh – North Park
10 miles from Downtown
Kayak Pittsburgh North Park is located on the idyllic North Park Lake. This location features kayaks, canoes, rowboats, Stand Up Paddle Boarding and adult bikes to enjoy along the trails as well.
1. Kayak Pittsburgh – North Shore
1 mile from Downtown
This location is a “can’t miss” for kayaking in the city. The shop is located under the 6th Street Bridge on the North Shore, next to PNC Park. You can truly see a spectacular view of the city from your kayak from Point State Park to Washington’s Landing. This spot allows you to explore all three rivers and the beautiful city surrounding them.
- Be sure to check online for specials and holiday pricing as it tends to fluctuate in the Summer
- The river trails can be several miles so make sure to bring water and some snacks your your trip
- The river trails also tend to be more advanced than the lake spots – the owners of each rental place will tell you the best routes for your skill level
- If you plan on bringing your phone or camera with you, bring a Ziploc bag or waterproof case just to be safe
Know of any other great places to kayak in the Pittsburgh area? Send me and email and let me know!